Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

What are some of the best technologies to implement into the Early Childhood Education Classroom?
 

I've been thinking about how to best utilize appropriate technologies to benefit preschool students.  I don't want to use a technology simply to say that technologies are being incorporated into the preschool classroom.  Just like any teaching tool, I want technologies to be used because they are utterly beneficial, they enhance the learning, and because they are the best way to convey a message. 

So what have we talked about that is appropriate for the little ones?

Smartboards, certainly.  I know many Orange County Schools have received Smartboards and the proper training for all grades...and the results are exciting.





Games, Apps, etc.  Yes--there is something out there to enhance many subjects and age groups.




Digital Media Authoring?  For preschoolers, perhaps as a whole-class project to recount a well-known story...


 


But most importantly of all, I think it is essential for Educators to have the proper technological training and to be able to decide what is helpful, essential, or best for their students' learning. 

I've come across several good blog postings about the importance of teachers continuing their professional education...to include current technologies, of course.  Here are some from Scott McCleod's blog, http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/


 

 
 
The more I learn, the more it seems that if educators have the right knowledge and training, technologies of all kinds will come to mind when planning lessons, even in the Early Childhood Classroom.
 
 

 References:
 
 
Flickr. 2012. Retrieved 25 October, 2012 from http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathycassidy/4484720788/
 
Flickr. 2012. Retrieved 25 October, 2012 from http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlauer/5407980960/

McLeod, Scott. (2012). Dangerously Irrelevant. Retrieved October 25, 2012 from
http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/


1 comment:

  1. I have a difficult enough time getting my 6th graders motivated! You are a SUPER TEACHER for getting those little ones up and tech savvy so early in education. For that, I salute you! :)

    How do you do it, though? I mean, do you have them actually on computers at all or are you more just showing them and exposing them to technology?

    In any case, long gone are the days of circle time in my classes. So to get them hooked with a digital story would be huge.

    I have a question that I would like to ask, and I am asking all of the students in our class:

    How much time should content area teachers spend teaching students how to use programs like Prezi or other digital storytelling platforms? I mean, in a time when we are given more content to cover and fewer hours/days to deliver it...can we afford to spend time showing students (those who do not understand) how to use the digital platforms? Or better yet, can we afford to NOT teach them?

    ReplyDelete